Tuesday, May 02, 2006

No time to read?

As a very busy person and book lover, one of the activities I do not have enough time for is reading. I grew up a reader and was read to as a child by my parents. My older brother, eight years my senior, took over when he began high school and read aloud his American and European literature and Greek mythology assignments. My reading appetite was so voracious that by first grade I had already read all the books in my age range and through the third grade level, at which point the librarian would not let me select books above the 3rd grade level. My Mother and older brother became my accomplices. Either I would choose the books and my elders checked out the books for me, or they would bring home subjects in my areas of interest.

I still love to read, but with less and less time I've had to become creative. One alternative is audiobooks: cassettes, CDs or MP3s. While doing mundane chores, the stereo or computer is reading to me. Not nearly as satisfying as holding the book, but audiobooks suffice. A bit of time searching online produces quite a selection of public domain literature available on the web. All titles not in the public domain can be purchased, of course.

For starters here is "The Yellow Wallpaper," a creepy short story by Charlotte Perkins Gilman from Miette's Bedtime Story site.


Children's classics read a chapter at a time:
The Road to Oz by L. Frank Baum
A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett
The Secret Garden also by Frances Hodgson Burnett
Heidi by Johanna Spyri currently being read

All
Sherlock Holmes also read by chapter

The
kitchen sink with something for absolutely anyone!

If you are lucky enough to have the time to read the books you are able hear above, they can be found for sale at your local independent bookstore or by searching by title and/or author at
Bookfinder or ADDALL

No comments: