Thursday, April 13, 2006

Spring Break, a Ginsberg class and Robinson Jeffers

Spring break is for kids- out of school regardless of age- but usually associated with those in college. My favorite spring break was a trip to Miami, Florida from a small, private college in central Illinois. That spring was cold and snowy. Nothing like a trip to a sub-tropical climate to warm the soul! I spent the days snorkeling and hiking in the Keys, travelling everywhere by motorcycle and truly soaking in the sun. Nights were spent in the U of M pub partying. Good times! I returned very brown, in spite of my fair skin, yearning for the sun. When it was warm again at my school, my friends and I would sunbathe behind one of the dorms adjacent to the soccer field until we adjourned for the summer.

I don't sunbathe all slicked up with baby oil in bikinis anymore. No one does that anyway- the UV rays are too dangerous from the ever-growing hole in the ozone layer. Wouldn't you know it, I have a bit of a sun allergy. Honestly! Now that I live near the Pacific Ocean I still get my fill of the sun and sea by taking my dog to the beach. She appreciates that more, too. And when it is ever the least bit "cold" here, we can always drive down to the desert.

Spring break in bookseller speak means a small respite before everyone returns to school and begins ordering their books again, unless you stock all fiction. I prefer non-fiction to read and sell. The more esoteric, the better I like it! My personal collection has some real goodies which someday will go on the market- when I'm ready to lighten my burden. I haven't done much to add to my inventory or collection since it is so out of control, but I received word of some older childrens' books available. Guess there is always room for more.... Despite all my rage, I'm still just a rat in a cage.

Now, back to the business of National Poetry Month. The Wayback Machine has a two-part class on writing poetry with Allen Ginsberg from the summer of 1984:
part 1 and part 2.

>Robinson Jeffers is another poet I truly love for many reasons, his poetry aside. He built a sanctuary, his home, overlooking Carmel Bay in California. Jeffers' poem Carmel Point is truly poignant and speaks to my soul. I made sure to purchase The Collected Poetry of Robinson Jeffers, Three Volumes, edited by Tim Hunt for myself. You can decide for yourself if you like Jeffers by looking at the 58 poems on the danged floasting ad site here.

Right now I am listening to Sirius 20- commercial free Octane- Papa Roach, Tool, Linkin Park, 32 Leaves, etc., but later I'm going to the beach armed with some Grateful Dead on my MP3 player and some doggie biscuits in my pocket.

Any book mentioned above can be found supporting your local independent bookstore or by searching at
Bookfinder or ADDALL.

No comments: